A New Costume endeavor

February 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm (Dress Diaries, General costuming) (, , , , , )

 It starts with my infatuation over this:  

Silk stays of deliciousness

 The most gorgeous stays I have ever seen in my entire life. They are pink silk stays from the 17th century belonging to  the V&A museum in London. Upon seeing them I was instantly overwhelmed by the sewing feat that it would be so I figured that I would do something like it just to get my feet wet in the world of fully boned two-laced stays. Below is the process thus far. [Warning: Picture heavy. I like taking pictures. Especially now that I have a boyfriend who lets me get my sticky fingers all over his stuff including his camera. Oh and the winter sunlight on my windowsill is gorgeous too.]       

The pattern on the large piece of taped together white paper was derived from the brown tissue pattern on the right. It was a bodice pattern from Simplicity’s Renaissance collection; #4488. I traced the pattern of my size [no telling here] in a marker that bleeds a lot onto printer paper and then modified it using scissors, tape, and highlighters. I can’t explain exactly how I did it but it was a lot of cutting, taping and adjusting with a ruler. The shape I was going off of was this pattern I found online at marquise.de:  

http://marquise.de/en/1700/schnitte/corps_ouvert1.gif
Then I got a little highlighter crazy. Here are some detail shots [click for larger views]:

  

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: