Is the Block Really Over?

November 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm (Uncategorized)

So after all this time I’ve decided to update my blog again. I just haven’t been motivated to actually sit down and type up a post about what I’ve been doing. I have this borderline irrational fear that my personal life will somehow seep into my post and take it over. That has happened a few times and I’m determined to squash the habit. So without further ado I’m going to talk about what I’ve been up to this Sunday afternoon besides planting boxwood trimmings.

I’ve decided to start again on the early 19th century kimono project. The dust was kicked up when I watched the movie ‘Jane Eyre’ and saw the pretty corded petticoat in one of the scenes. It wasn’t just the corded petticoat that I really caught my eye but it was the only thing that I deemed ‘doable’.  Then I wondered if that’s what I could possibly make as the petticoat to go under my kimono. It would give it just enough poof if I cord it to the near top. It’s a little late in terms of the period but since this is a costume that isn’t being restricted by a timeline I think it will be all right.

So this morning I planted a few of my boxwood trimmings and went on to draft the camisole. It’s based heavily off of Jenny LaFleur’s vintage camisole.  I did a bit of free-hand mock up drafting because I wanted to see how well I could do without basing it off of an actual pattern. That and I wanted to use my new Simplicity pattern board that I bought from Walmart for about $5. I’ve been wanting one for awhile now and haven’t had the money to buy one of the more advanced boards from Joanns. When I first used it I had one of those cliche  ‘Where have you been all my life?!’ moments.

My first attempt the night before wasn’t bad. It was horrible. Mainly because I ruined my iron by putting the temperature up too high and then attempting to rake off some of this red crusty stuff by dragging the iron over felt. Silly me forgot that manufactured felt is, in actuallity, fluffed up plastic fibers.  Another reason why it was so horrible was that in all my haste I made some really bad measurement decisions and couldn’t properly visualize what the piece was supposed to look like.

I tried again shortly after noon and came out with mediocre results. I learned from my previous mistakes and made a few adjustments here and there.  I’m having a bit of trouble with the armhole and getting the back pieces exactly right. The good news is, I know just how much yardage I’m going to need even though I ordered my fabric a few days ago.  I also know what other adjustments I need to do and what pieces I had forgotten. The sad thing is, I forgot to put in the button placket so I practically got stuck when I tried it on. I also forgot the straps. How could I have forgotten these two important things I don’t think I’ll ever know.

So I ironed it out, sewed a piece of paper into the middle of it and marked all over it with sharpie:

The laundry list of things to do are as follows:

1. Widen Front

2. Flat Fell side seams

3. Widen back panels

4. Add button placket [should solve issues with the back panels]

5. Curve/Bring up neckline

6. Neckline is too deep

7. Front strap placements

8. Add seam allowance to back armscye

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: